Shannon's Top Ten Authors She'd Put on Her Auto-Buy List
This was a tricky one for me. See, I have a lot of authors I like, but I am mostly a review driven reader. Meaning, if a favorite author came out with a new book, I would look up reviews. If it got good reviews, I would read it. If not, then I probably wouldn't. (For example, I loved the Harry Potter series, but had no interest in reading The Casual Vacancy after reading some reviews). So really, this list is more like "who's book would I pick up at the library if I saw it on the shelf....no questions asked."
1. Garth Nix - I loved his Abhorsen series and want to finish reading his Keys to the Kingdom series at some point.
2. Sue Grafton - I've read all of her Kinsey Millhone books to date and will continue until she reaches "X is for...."
3. Jodi Picoult - I've read most of her books. I always think they are interesting and she does a great job of writing about controversial subjects.
4. Julie Kagawa - I lied. Kagawa would be on my auto-buy list.
5. Maggie Stiefvater - I lied again. Stiefvater is now one of my favorite authors and I am working on her finishing her back catalog. She will always a special place in my heart for writing The Scorpio Races
6. Karen Cushman - I really loved her middle grade books and would probably pick them up if I saw one at a store. My favorite was probably The Midwife's Apprentice.
7. Gail Carson Levine - In a similar vein as Cushman, but with a fantasy twist. My favorite was A Tale of Two Castles.
8. Terry Pratchett - I own all of his Discworld books (even though I haven't read all of them). And if I saw a book of his I didn't own at a bookstore, I would probably buy it.
9. Emily Giffin - I wouldn't buy them necessarily, but if I saw it at the library, I would definitely check it out. Her recent books haven't quite lived up to Something Borrowed and Something Blue, but I almost always enjoy them.
10. Kristin Cashore - I really enjoyed Graceling and Fire. Bitterblue was a small disappointment to me, but if she writes more books in the series then I would get them.
Honorable Mentions: Veronica Roth, Veronica Rossi, and Leigh Bardugo - If their series end as good as they began then I would probably read anything by them!