LIFE OF A BLOGGER: Family
Life of a Blogger is a weekly meme by Novel Heartbeat. It gives us a chance to talk about non-bookish passions and interests.
Hmm...what to write about! I thought about writing a little summary of my family, but that's kind of boring. I thought maybe I should just give you some interesting family facts instead...
* My uncle John was one of the first Americans to climb the Pamirs in the then-USSR in 1974. It was big deal in the climbing community. While he was there, an avalanche hit and killed one of his fellow climbers and best friend. It was later written about in a book called Storm and Sorrow in the High Pamirs.
* My uncle Brian was invited to climb Vinson Massif in Antarctica in 1966, marking the first summit of the mountain. (Vinson Massif is one of the "seven summits" - the highest mountains on each continent. It is 16,066 ft in elevation). This trip was written about in National Geographic. They returned in 2006 to try to repeat the assent, but they didn't make it.
* My Great-great-great grandfather was the 3rd Governor of Washington State. There is a statue of him in Olympia.
* My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are make up artists. Currently they live in Toronto, but previously they lived in Milan and worked a lot of the famous fashion shows: Versace, Gucci, Prada. You can see some of David's work here. And watch a video of David giving tips for perfect brows here.
* My dad went to high school with Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. But sadly, he didn't really know them.
* My daughter, brother in law and niece all have the same birthday! 2010, 1994, and 2009 respectively.